Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Journal Entry: Melting Mom's Heart

Driving home today I teared up thinking of all the heart-melting moments I've shared with Granton that were almost missed. Thankfully, I can appreciate each one now because--as Daniel quotes under the hospital dome-- "Jesus Saved Granton!" Most of these moments have to do with his age and the developmental stage he is at. None the less, I still think they're little treasures that every parent shares and holds on to. The first is my favorite--Granton's open mouth kisses he gives all the time when I know good and well that he can make a fish face, pucker, smack, and/or all of the above. Then, there's the cuddles, followed by his love pats as he mimicks my own gestures. Next, I laugh when he blows raspberries. This reminds me of a story. Once, when we were in the surgery clinic for an appointment, Granton was holding real still and quiet while the nurse put a nitrate stick on some granulation tissue around his g-tube. Apparently, the small procedure is supposed to sting a little, so the nurse said to Granton that he was being such a big boy. The second she said that, he stuck out his tongue and broke the silence with a raspberry right in her face. We busted up laughing. Then the nurse said that his timing couldn't have been better. And, finally, countless other baby memories like dancing to tv commercial music; leaving handprints in various places; bear crawling everywhere; pointing and attempting to read a book in a foreign language; playing pattycake; driving--or should I say backing up--his Lightning McQueen car with one hand like he's Joe Cool; belly laughs for silly reasons; and of course the classic peek-a-boo as we've mentioned before. All of these are running through my mind as I look forward to our long- awaited trip home!

Jenni

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy the time has finally come. He's going home on Matt's birthday! I'm so glad for you guys. Give Granton a kiss for me. I miss him. I love you. Aunt Jacki

Anonymous said...

Jenni, What a wonderful entry! I'm so happy for you and Daniel. And now you can settle in at home and get ready for that little girl to come into your lives. My mom's birthday is Monday, so when I rejoice in the Lord for another healthful year for her I will thank God too for his healing powers for Granton. Love and prayers!

Wolf Family said...

The journey with your son will be one I will never forget. The name Granton will always stick in my mind right next to the word MIRACLE. Your faith and determination has strengthen so many in their own walk with the Lord, thank you for sharing your son's struggles and success with us as well as your own struggles and success. These stories have caused me to hang on tighter than ever before to the little ones I have. You are a wonderful mother and father!!! I pray God's hand will continue to guide and lead you as Granton begins his new life at home!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!! We are rejoicing with you and thanking God for this long awaited homecoming.
Jeremy and Julie Davis

Anonymous said...

Free at last, free at last. Thank God Granton is free at last.

Anonymous said...

Jenni, I'm not a mom, but that brought tears to my eyes. I know that those things are just little miracles in themselves. You are such a great mother, and Coach is such a great dad! You guys are an inspiration to all with the deep faith you have. Thank You.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny your post brought happy tears to my eyes at how far Granton has come!! You have such an ability to write!! I have an 11 month old so I can relate to those open mouth kisses, but they are the BEST!!! I am so happy for you and your family and pray that you have a great Thanksgiving. We all have a lot to be thankful for!!
God's Blessing!
Rebecca Johnson in St. Louis

Anonymous said...

Daniel & Jenni,
Your family has dealt with more the last eight months than most families do in a lifetime. It is such a miracle that Granton is finally able to come home!
We hope and pray for Granton's continued success and wish you all a very blessed Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

What a blessed Thanksgiving you will have. I can't even imagine what you have been through but you have certainly handled every situation. Enjoy every one of those kisses and give Granton a kiss for me.

Kathy D

Anonymous said...

Oh Daniel and Jenny, I have been following this story since the beginning and words can not tell you the happiness and thankfulness I have in my heart for your family. Although I have only posted once before I had to post today after seeing that great news that you get to take that precious boy HOME. I do so pray for you and yours and your trips back and forth to the DR. I will also be watching daily just as I have always done for new updates. Please don't let your correspondence end. I think I am speaking for many many people when I say we will never lose interest in your family and in Grantons life and then of course in the life of that baby girl that will be here to share in all the love you two have. And beleive me I can read all that love even if I do not know you. Thanks so much for being so faithful in keeping us updated and give that boy many many kisses from all of us.

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!!!! WTG Granton. I knew you could do it. I am so happy for you all!!! What an amazing Christmas gift the lord has given you.

Love,
One of your PICU friends

Anonymous said...

Jenni,

I cant' tell you how excited we are for you. I do, however, have the urge to wrap you all up in bubble wrap and have you airlifted directly to your front door.I now know how strong you are...but you're still my Schrader B'skater in my heart and I want to stand in front of you and deflect anything coming your way. ;)

We are ready to see the pictures from home and read the first blog after your first night in your own beds. When I told Thomas and the girls last night, we all squealed and jumped up and down in the kitchen. Well, Thomas just laughed...but he wanted to squeal! ;)

You are such an amazing women, mommy and christian. Our hearts are rejoicing with yours.

Much much love,

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!! &
Happy Thanksgiving!
Thank the lord you are going home.
Love, Grandma Jeannette

Anonymous said...

Praise God that you are getting to go home. What great news. What a happy, happy day that will be and you will remember forever.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news that Granton is going home! God has truly worked a miracle in his life.

Can you tell us what the doctors are saying for long term, such as when the G-tube will come out, when they hope to have him completely off meds, etc.?

Praying for a smooth, uneventful transition home and continued good health--for the whole family!!!

Tammy Guinn

Anonymous said...

God, you are truly merciful and gracious!

tears of joy.

LeaAnn

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beautiful blog! Your family is wonderful, I don't know you personally, but thank you for sharing Granton and especially for you and Daniel for having faith, you really overwhelm me. I pray God will continue to bless your children and and also parents. We never know how much we really love our children till we have to go through very hard times. Thank you again for keeping the blogs coming. I send my love to you, I want only the very best in life for all of THE BAYLESS FAMILY!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! We are so happy for the Bayless and Schrader families. What a wonderful Thanksgiving to remember. Your testament of faith has been a blessing to all! "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12
Love, Linda and Robert

Jenifer said...

I am so happy for you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Praise The Lord! What wonderful news! We are soooo happy for you all. Have a great trip home & a Wonderful blessed Thanksgiving! The Bay & Holley Families!

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope that you will keep up Granton's blog from time to time--letting us know how he is doing. I would really miss your positive, inspirational faith. How wonderful--I know you and your family are so excited.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I am so happy for all of you. Thanksgiving turkey will never taste so good as this years. This is such great news. You all have waited so patiently for your turn to go home.
Austin said "yea Granton gets to go home."
You are all in my thoughts and prayers for a good and save trip home.
I believe that the lord made my assignment that morning that lead me to the Bayless family and that I am truly greatful.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! I have been gone and have not been able to check the blog. I saw Shanna tonight and asked, what is the latest on, Granton? I was so thankful and happy to hear the great news of you and Granton coming home. What a wonderful blessing you and the families have this Thanksgiving.I'm so excited for yall!!!! I also heard about the beautiful new home that yall will get to come to. I'm so happy for all the families that are experiencing the home coming. Have a safe trip to Bolivar and can not wait to see a healthy boy.

Anonymous said...

finally the time has come, you all can go home and be a happy family here in bolivar, oh how it makes me so happy, i have prayed and prayed, the Lord answeed all of our prayers. still keep us up to date, and hopefully we will see u around bolivar.my love and prayers always

Mandy said...

Thinking of you as you get ready for tomorrow!
Amanda Rouse

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day tomorrow will be, one you have waited for so long and all of us too! This will be the BEST Thanksgiving ever!!! We will all Give Thanks to God with a grateful heart for Granton and his wonderful parents and family. God Bless and keep you.
Love & prayers...Sherry Stephens

Anonymous said...

The Bayless family home in Bolivar!! How we thank God! The next few weeks will have their new stresses and I;m so glad you have so many friends and family nearby to share your joys and support you through the transition. Just the thought of it all makes me shiver! You be careful, Jenni and keep your excitement down for the drive home. Boy oh boy won't that be somep'n, prancin in that home door with Granton in yhour arms--no, he will be in Daniels arms and you will be in Daniels arms-at home! God bless you and sometime find time to tell us all about homecoming--that baby has such expressive eyes and they will be full of wonderment as he sees all this excitement about cominginto this strange place . What is this all about, anyway? Granton our little hero! Thank you dear God. Love, Gram

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful morning God has provided for your homecoming!! Have a wonderful day. Prayers of thanksgiving are being lifted in Granton's name!