Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What a difference a year makes

Well our lives must be getting normal because we have been in such a whirlwind I haven’t had time to blog. I a not complaining; I like to be busy. I always say the alternative is boredom. Our experience last year has taught me to enjoy the little thing in life and not to sweat the small stuff. Here is an example, On Monday Granton had an appointment in KC and a friend watched Kaylynn for us. I left practice a little early to get her. As soon as I got home Jenni’s sister came out to tell me Granton was having trouble with his IV and they would get back latter. She knew I wanted to cut the grass which was at least a foot high so she offered to take a baby to her friends house to watch her as they studied. Great I finally get to work on the yard. Five minutes on the lawn mower and I had a broken belt. I knew I was short on time because I need to go get Kaylynn about two hours after her aunt took her. I raced back to town and barely got the new belt before they closed. Actually, they were closed and let me in anyway. I raced back home to work on the mower. Of course there were a bunch of safety guards on the mower deck so I took a long time to put the new belt on. I got it going and went back to mowing. The new belt broke after ten minutes and I noticed a bearing was now out on the mower. No problem I have another mower that just doesn’t cut the grass as nice and as fast but I works. Well it only works when it has gas and I put all my gas in the first mower. By now it is obvious I won’t get the grass cut so I drive back into town to get Kaylynn only to find out she is not there because Jenni’s sister had brought her back to me and we missed each other on the road. This kind of thing used to tick me off but I didn’t seem to mind because I kept thinking this is nothing compared what we were dealing with this time last year. Jenni didn’t get back with Granton until about 10:00. I was starting to get a little worried and said a prayer for them on the road and I actually herd the garage door open five seconds after I finished. However, the day ended on a good note. Granton was taken off one of his meds and will probably be taken off another one next time. This will only leave his hydrocortisone and he is being weaned from it. So we can actually look forward to a time when he doesn’t need any meds. He is so much fun and has turned into a ham. He loves to joke around. We enjoy playing every night. We have come so far. I actually cried the other day in front of the track team. The girls won their first ever district championship. As we presented the plaque, we told the kids how proud we are of what they have done, where they came from, and what they have been through. As I was standing in front of them I remembered Granton seemed to be slipping away this time last year and I could not even be at the district meet. What a change our lives have taken. I was so overcome with emotion I actually cried. God has showed me my life is a blessing. He is so good. By the way I did get the yard mowed.

12 comments:

Direnna said...

Daniel I am so proud of you. God is not only blessing you, but has used you from the day you were born to bless me, and now with Jenni and your family, those blessings continue. And I'm just one person - God has used you all in the past year to bless and encourage so many people, even people you don't know.

Congratulations to your track team!

Hope you enjoy your company today. Hoping to get to come see yall soon too!

Love you all so much! Renna :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel, it sounds like your mowing experiences are about the same as mine, only the only back up I have is a push mower and I have to go out of town also for gas. Always glad to hear about Granton's progress. Congratulations to you and your track team!!!! Am looking forward to seeing everyone in June. Thanks for the blog.

Love, Grandma Jeannette

Brandi Allard said...

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Your strong Faith and Hope, have given so many people more faith and hope in things that once seem impossible. I'm so glad that things are going so great! and Congrats to the Lady Liberators on the district title!

Brad Adams said...

Daniel, I can so relate to the lawmower story just this past week. I was able to find joy in the situation, as well. I did just talk to Debbie Byers via facebook and she said she was on her way to your place now. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing about your experience, it's the little things that seem to get in our way.
So happy to hear both of the children are doing great. There is no greater gift that God can give than our children. God is wonderful and I will always keep all of you in my prayers!

Angela K.

Anonymous said...

Funny story! So glad Granton is doing so well! I guess the grass just wasn't supposed to get cut that day. Congratulations to the track team! Keeping you all in prayer!

ashley ballard said...

I was just thinking today where you all were at at this time last year. You've all come so far! God is truly good and works in so many amazing ways. Good luck to your track team. I know you're proud of them. Hoping to get together with Jenni and the kids next week for a play date. Have a great holiday weekend.
Ashley

Anonymous said...

What a great post. Thanks for being so real. And what an answer to prayer that Granton will not need to always be on meds. What an amazing journey you all have had. So blessed to be one of your many prayer partners on it!
Love-
a fam in colo spgs

Anonymous said...

Our God is an AWESOME GOD!!! CF

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! I've been following your story from the beginning and Granton is such a little miracle child! What a great reminder for all of us about what really matters in life. Thanks!

A Big Granton Fan in KC!

kim Palmer RN said...

What a great message. I have always said that seeing the things in the PICU keeps me ground. I was just thinking about how lucky I am that I was able to take care of Granton and meet the Bayless family. You all have forever changed my life.

Debbie Byers said...

It was such a blessing to get to come and be a part of your precious family. Thank you so much for allowing me. I hope that Granton is feeling better...I think it was too much chicken pot pie and mommas cookies, myself.
The house is beautiful.
I love you.
Aunt Debbie