Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Happy Birthday Granton! Kinda :-)
One year ago today we took a big leap of faith. We went for the last chance one in a million Hail Mary touchdown pass. It wasn’t expected to work and even if it did we were prepared to have a little frail boy on a ventilator for the rest of his life. However, after much crying out to God in prayer we felt, as bad as it was, it was Granton’s best chance. Actually, this was the first time since March when our boy was admitted into the hospital that I felt a peace. I knew it was what God was telling us to do so we did it. Granton was the first ever child to receive a transplant of this kind in the PICU at Children’s Mercy. The transplant team and the PICU team even had to have meetings just to figure out how to work together because they never had before. They had never attempted anything like this on a kid as frail as Granton. We knew his lungs were already wasted and we were told the treatment involved in the transplant would make them even worse. It would most likely kill him. But again, we also knew eventually we had to try something. We had a peace from above about this decision. I will never forget all the doctors and nurses bowing their heads as Jenni and I prayed for the new blood as we watched it enter his body. We asked that it would be his life blood. Jenni noted that Granton was admitted into the hospital on Easter, the day celebrating how Jesus paid for our sins and saved us with his blood. Now we were praying for our little boy’s life to be spared through this new “life blood.” That was a year ago today and we have a happy little man who is not enslaved by a ventilator. He doesn’t even require extra oxygen; instead our son breaths just like a normal boy. He runs all over our house and smiles all the time. He is constantly getting into trouble, turning everything upside down like a little tornado. He is a whirlwind of blessings and we love him so much. We are so thankful for all the blessings our Lord and Savior has poured out on us pressed down shaken together and running over. We are so thankful for the doctors and nurses who God used as tools to save our little boy. We are so thankful for the countless people who constantly prayed for Granton and still pray all the time for our little boy and our family. Thank You. You are all a part of Granton’s “Birthday” calibration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
"But thanks be to God, which gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57
Granton,
We continue to Praise God for the miracle which is your life! You are a true example of the love and power given unto us through the blood of Christ.
"And they overcame him by the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony;.." Revelation 12:11
Therefore...
"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering...For HE IS FAITHFUL THAT PROMISED!"
Happy "Kinda" Birthday, Granton.
Love,
Dana
Happy "Birthday" Granton! I remember that scary time reading about the dangerous decisions your parents were having to make.
You are a gorgeous boy and you look so happy and healthy! Your sister is a cutie too!
Amanda Rouse
It brings tears of joy as I read your post today. I also remember reading as your parents as the Lord to guide them everyday in decisions that had to be made regarding your care. Look at you now, you are a little miracle. You are a testimony to what our God can do. Still praying for you!
Happy "birthday" little man! What a blessing we've been shown. I, too, remember reading about the events a year ago, and praying most fervantly. The pictures are so great, two little cuties! I always show the girls at work the pictures and tell them the updates, and we always just smile at how healthy and happy Granton is. Such a wonderful thing to see.
Bayless family,
I will never forget June 10th or July 4th. I will always hold these days in my heart as new biggings for the special little boy Granton.
Enjoy the "Kinda Birthday"
WOW!! Granton, your life is a testimony showing just how BIG our God is! I just looked back through all of the earlier posts and am thanking God for the TRUE MIRACLE he has performed in YOU! Happy (Kinda) Birthday!! Give your cute little sister some kisses for me!
praying for Granton and Mommie today for a good trip good report and everything. Know Kaylynn is in good hands and Daddy teaching summer school. Love ya Pa & G'ma
What a wonderful day. I have tears of joy streaming down my cheeks right now.
What a Miracle! OH Happy Day!
Oh what a difference a year makes. Rejoicing with you all! Praying for good news today for Gtanton. God has truly blessed your child! Always in my prayers!:)
I remember this day and will remember it for the rest of my life. I was one of the night nurses at CMH and took care of Granton that night. Granton holds a special place in my heart as he was my first pt. when I started in the PICU when he was very ill in the begining. You and Jenni are the strongest people I have ever met and your faith is inspiring!
God Bless all of you!!
Christy Kroll RN
The Father is so kind, merciful and compassionate. I am sure He is rejoicing in our happiness as much as each of us are rejoicing for you.
Praise God! Praise Jesus!
Thank you, Dear Father!
Cathy F. and Family, Bolivar
Reading the blog today brings tears to my eyes. What a difference a year has made. I know in my heart that God has big plans for that little boy. God bless all of you and may the years to come be wonderful ones filled with nothing but joy. Prayers from Bedford.
Any chance you are coming to Bedford this weekend? I hear there is going to be a wedding.
It is hard to wipe away the tears and write and the same time. Happy "Kinda" Birthday Granton. What a great celebration.
It seems as tho Easter has a special meaning for you some bad and some very good. We thank God for bringing you all through this past year you have a great family. Gracie came to see us today she's walking now and has changed so much. The pictures of her and Granton are so cute. We continue to keep you in our prayers. Bethany S. S. Class
Lorene Epperson
Post a Comment