Friday, August 1, 2008

What's missing?



I will let you look at the pictures for a while before I tell you what is missing. Actually, there are some things missing that aren’t obvious in the picture. Granton is now missing a drug that fights graft vs. host disease because they don’t think he needs it anymore, but he’s still getting tacrolimis. He will also be missing a patch on his leg later today. The patch was something that started in the PICU for his withdraw from all the pain meds. Speaking of pain meds, they are weaning him again today. They can’t give him any less so they are giving him pain meds less often. We will watch him close to see how he handles all the changes. We are also watching for new results from his engraftment test. They should come next week. Of course we are praying about that. On the lighter side, I was just telling Jenni Granton needed a new toy and what do you know but Grandpa Todd showed up with one last night. As you can see in the picture Granton likes to play with his guitar. He is practicing up for a jam session with Great Grandpa Max. They just might invite Jenni to join them also. Okay, in case you haven’t figured out what is missing look under his nose. That’s right his nasal cannula is gone. Granton did not need oxygen yesterday during the day. He only needed a whiff last night from 1:00 to about 7:00. So now the nurse has taken off the cannula and we will use something called a blow by when he needs a little whiff. We are so excited! A few months ago we were prepared for this kid to be on a ventilator for the rest of his life and now he goes through the day breathing the same air we do. Thank you so much Lord.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed right off the bat. Praise God. He looks so good and we are so excited for the work God is doing in him. He is such a little miracle. Jam on!!!!

Anonymous said...

You guys..that is AWESOME! Words cannot express it! If you want to say a psalm of praise 138 is a good one! My kiddos asked me to look and see if there was a new update or any new pictures and they were thrilled...I could barely get through reading it...my 5 year old daughter came and hugged me and said, "mama those are happy tears, right?" I assured her that oh yes they are very happy tears. Thanks for sharing! Love- a fam in colo spgs

Anonymous said...

Jenni and Daniel,
This news is absolutely wonderful! God has truly performed many miracles in Granton's life. I continue to pray and rejoice with you.
Rebecca L.

Anonymous said...

I love it! NO O2 canula! I'm in tears here as you remind us that it was a possibility for Granton to need help breathing for the rest of his life and now he sits breathing on his own and playing a guitar! :) Praise the LORD!!!!
Amanda Rouse

Anonymous said...

Through the Eyes of Granton
By: Dana Burk

Through the eyes of others, I lay sleeping and still
Sickness overwhelmed me, a body so ill
Eyes of friends and family peered with grief
Health of youth stolen by blessings one thief
Doctors and nurses offered little hope
Mommy and Daddy found it hard to cope
Standing firm on the Promises they found
God’s Holy Word echoed with sound

Through my sleeping eyes, I saw angels bliss
Each one offering a heavenly kiss
I giggled as they circled my bed
Planting their kisses upon my head
I watched in awe at each one I would meet
I laughed even harder when they tickled my feet
Jesus was there sitting at my side
Telling the angels where to glide
We laughed together as we watched the show
He held my hand and never let go
Pain from sickness I did not feel
Sustained by God, A touch so real

Through my open eyes I soon would see
Mommy and Daddy waiting for me
Excited to tell them about the fun I had
I didn’t understand why they looked so sad
Patiently, I waited for the doctors to say
Mommy could hold me, what a wonderful day
Snuggled in her arms feeling her warm embrace
I saw tears of joy upon her face
As the days go on, sorrow begins to fade
Life fills the bed death once had laid
By the Stripes of Jesus, I am healed
Through it all, God’s Glory revealed

Through the eyes of Jesus, He saw my pain
Suffered and died, for my sickness was slain
Through His eyes, Death He sees no more
Through His blood our suffering He bore
Cleansed from sickness now my eyes see as well
By His death, all fullness in life shall dwell
In a moment of weakness, to our knees we fell
Through my mouth, a mighty testimony to tell

Anonymous said...

this is all such wonderful news...i had just talked to grandpa todd today and he was telling me all about it. i am so happy for you all. just keep fighting and getting all better so you can come home. love and prayers always.

Anonymous said...

I noticed right away what was missing!!! Great news!!!! I also noticed his teeth really well in this picture......he is doing so well!!! I guess Grandpa Todd knew what the boy would like....it looks like he is having a great time with it. He is a true miracle....... Thank you Jesus for all you have done for the Bayless family!!! Connie F.

Anonymous said...

Always love the pics and w/ the twist today of finding what's missing! We continue to pray for you all as you direct us and also for continued endurance. I wondered who'd get Granton a guitar of his own.... way 2 go Todd! Love & prayers, Billy, Regina & Zack Russell

Anonymous said...

I noticed right away. Praise the Lord!! And what cute pictures. Those little teeth showing are so cute. That Grandpa Todd is a fun guy, isn't he. I don't think he has any musical talent though, so don't plan on him jammin' with you Granton. I hear he does a fairly good Elvis act though. You're looking so good and I continue to pray and rejoice in the miracles we have seen these last few months. Have a great weekend. Love and prayers, Kim P.

Rhianna Garber said...

I did notice it was gone, I just didn't know what it was called. Praise the Lord! We miss seeing you guys.

Anonymous said...

Go Granton! I am so happy. I can't wait to see you guys this weekend. God is great.
Give him a big kiss and hug for me.

Kim P RN

Anonymous said...

I did notice right away. That is awesome! God is so good!! Granton is pickin' & grinnin'...so cute.
The poem Dana wrote is just beautiful and it brought tears of joy to my eyes.
You guys have a wonderful weekend and keep playing your guitar Granton. Still praying... God Bless!

Anonymous said...

I noticed! One more baby step to full recovery. Praise our wonderful Lord.

Dana, always love reading your post. You are such a talented writer.

Anonymous said...

Granton, you keep on playing that guitar and yes Grandpa Todd use to pretend to be a real entertainer.I'm sure he will be glad to show you how to go about it with a mike and the whole wiggle bit.(Wish I would have had a movie camera back then.)You look so cute sitting there and the poem the nice lady wrote for you is so special.Tell Mommy and Daddy hello for us and you have a great weekend .We love you ,GgLarry & GgBonnie

Anonymous said...

I knew and I'm very thankful also. How exciting!! He is not to far off from being a very healthy little boy. Grandpa Todd knew just want Granton needed for entertainment. He is going to be just like his mom. How awesome!! Still praying!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing Father we have! And what an amazing little boy you have.

We are praying for next week's test results. And tell Granton we said "ROCK OUT MAN!"

Anonymous said...

What fun it was to read the latest post and see the precious pictures of Granton playing his guitar! It is so amazing that he is off of the nasal canula and doing well...such a miracle, but then, Granton's progress has been one BIG miracle from the start! He is such a precious boy! We will pray that he does well on less pain medication, and of course, for good test results next week! Love, Cammie

Anonymous said...

Great News! Granton looks so handsome, strumming his guitar. Move over Grandpa Todd, Granton will be taking over your Elvis enterainment. Hope he sounds better than you did, and still try to do;) HA! HA! Actually, it was pretty funny watching you jammin and movin around like Elvis. The only thing missing now is the puple micro-phone (vase) that you use to carry around and sing into. You better get Granton one of those too!! Love ya Tina