Monday, August 11, 2008

Alarming Morning

Last night went like this. Granton destated from about 11:00pm to 2:00am reaching 85 at the lowest. Mom doesn't have near the patience that the grandmas do, so finally around 1:00am I had the nurse turn off his monitor in the room. I'd already tried taping the oxygen tube to his face and shirt and that didn't work for our little wiggle worm. The nurse tried to prop the tube up on a toy and that didn't work, so finally, I asked her for a nasal canula just overnight. We taped the nasal canula down twice, but since the tubing hung down in front instead of back, Granton decided he wanted to play with it. Eventually, mom took the dangling canula off his face and he didn't seem to have as many problems destating. However, he did have high blood pressure all night long and kept his nurse hopping in and out. About 3:30-4:30 mom got some sleep until Granton started getting sick. He was getting 135ml more last night to compensate for a feed that was skipped during the day. Anyway, he threw up four times and gagged several times along with dirty diapers, rumbling tummy, and moaning. Then, came the emergency. About 5:00am Granton spiked a sudden fever of 104 and his heart rate climbed to 230. An immediate team of heart doctors did an EKG to figure out why his heart rate was irregular. They determined it was caused by the fever, but they gave mom a big scare. We had to flip him upside down twice, hook him up to a heart monitor and the EKG machine. He got 3 antibiotics and cultures for a bacteria infection that they suspect has to do with his Hickman line again. Which means we should take it out ASAP. We were planning to do several surgeries all at once and get them over with while Granton was under anesthesia and on a vent. As you know things rarely go as planned around here. Now, we're looking at taking out the Hickman with a temporary PiCC line until the infection clears and Granton may receive a port and g-tube. The nurse told us to wait at least 48 hours to get rid of the infection. Right now, he is on blow by with a simple mask and we are waiting to place a nasal canula on so that it's Granton-proof. Currently, his temperature is 103 and his body seems to be cooling down. His heartrate is 193 and he is very underactive. I said lathargic, but the doctor quickly corrected me. Granton is usually so active, so for him he doesn't feel well at all. We just had a chest X-ray because both a transplant nurse and a respiratory nurse said he sounded a little crackly on the left bottom side. Wow! Did I ever get broken in to staying the night with Granton! But, I must say, he sure needed his mama when he started getting real sick. He wouldn't let go of me. At this point, I don't think we will be back in the picu because his blood pressure didn't drop after the antibiotics and his heartrate is going back down. He received zofran for his stomach ache, tylenol for the fever, and he is currently off his feeds and on iv fluids. I'm sure I've missed something, but I'll cover my tracks later. Until then, just keep praying for Granton and join us as we trust in God.

If you make the Most High your dewelling- even the the Lord, who is my refuge- then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. Psalm 91:9-10

Jenni

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for Granton!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all this morning. So glad you were with him when he needed you. The Lord continues to provide for every little need, even Granton's emotions.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you to get some rest & for Granton to feel better.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a night! Poor Granton anyone would be "underactive" with a fever that high. Then to have tummy trouble and doctors flipping him around on top of that.:0
We continue to pray for your strength as well.
Keep quoting and standing on Psalms 91. It's a good one! Everyone should quote on a daily basis. Especially if they are being tried and tested.

"For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways." Psalm 91:11
Love,
Dana

Anonymous said...

Jenni-
I am sorry Granton and your night was so ruff. I am glad that you were there, I am sure it made him feel so much better. Not that grandma's are not awsome but there is nothing like mom.

I will be at the hospital tuesday after noon. I WILL be up. Stay strong and always follow your mom intuition.
Kim RN

Anonymous said...

Praying for Granton to be feeling much better today! Glad you were there with him. Little fellows always want their momma when their sick. Hope you can get some rest today and God to continue to heal little Granton.

Love & prayers.

Anonymous said...

Been watching and rereading your blog. Still praying for that little guy and for you and expect to hear better news real soon. God is with you. He will never let you go. Love you, Gram

Anonymous said...

Granton~ Praying for a fast recovery from your bug. Keep us posted. Jenni, praying for your strength to keep everything going.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a night you had. I'm glad you were there. Little boys sure need their momma when they don't feel good. The Lord will watch over you and provide for your every need. Hope you can get some rest tonight and all goes well tomorrow. Keep looking up! Love and prayers, KIM P.