Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tuesday, August 19

We are about to make another big step in Granton's feeds which took less time than I thought. Last night, the nurses bumped up the volume to 160ml to see how well Granton handled the change. His stomach has been able to hold the extra milk, so mom is taking a risk and allowing Granton to receive 180 ml today. That means tonight he will not have to have any milk at all and will wake up to an empty tummy. He loves his rice cereal so, hopefully, he will have enough hunger to eat well in the morning. Also, anytime I have a food tray, Granton acts as though he's about to salivate. So, yesterday evening I sat him next to me while I ate dinner and gave him a rice wafer to chew on. He ate the whole thing plus another half. He seems more interested in our food rather than baby food, and especially when he gets to feed himself. The dietition was happy that he tolerated the volume of the feeds and said that this is a huge step toward eating orally or three meals a day.

The cultures haven't grown anything since Thursday so that is more good news. Granton will continue his antibiotic for this new bacteria until Sunday. This means, we will probably schedule the surgeries early next week. So far, the bacteria infections in his blood stream have all been different and seem to relate to his stools or come from the gut according to the doctors. They will be giving Granton a preventative antibiotic for these infections so we will not have to be bothered by them anymore. This last one was caught later and sent us in emergency mode. We hope to avoid this with the preventative antibiotic. He was given this same antibiotic before at the time of transplant, but hasn't received it up to now. We are determined to get a negative test result on the RSV. He had another test run yesterday. And, his donor percentage should be known in the next few days. We are waiting now for the B-cells to start producing, but that might take a few months. He had quite a bit of his own already and only the partial chemo treatment to clear them. I think it will be reassuring to discover for a second time that his T-cell engraphtment is still high like it was last time.

Granton is still the sweet happy boy he always has been and manages to play just fine in his hospital bed, exersaucer, floor mat, or pod chair. Yesterday, I was sitting beside him on the bed sewing while he was watching a movie in his pod chair. Occasionally, I'd get a little tug on my sleeve as he pulled me over to watch with him. I just snuggled over and explained what was on the screen and then he kept watching. I am proud of how well he is entertaining himself, too, just like now as I type this blog. We are so thankful for our little man and for all the people who diligently prayed for him during his down days.

Jenni

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenni...... That is all wonderful news!!! He may just be a kid that doesn't like babyfood. My first one (Neal) would eat 3 jars at a time....then Katie came along and hated all babyfood except bananas and sweet potatoes. She also took to the cup very early. So... Granton just may be more interested in what you have due to not caring for the babyfood. That's cute that he would tug on you while watching tv. Sounds like he has a very good attention span!!! Hope your days continue to go in the positive way...... God Bless. Connie F.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about Granton and his mom, sounds like your day was wonderful!You are really an inspiration to me, I respect you and your family,for being wonderful parents as well as wonderful people, May God continue to bless you along the way, one moment at a time!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for such wonderful news! You go, Granton!

Anonymous said...

Granton is so fortunate to have such wonderful,Godly parents. God has surely answered prayers, I read your blog everyday just to see what God has done that day. I feel like you are my family even though I don't personally know you. I know he will continue to get better with God on your side.

Anonymous said...

We just want to let you know that we are praying for you Jenni as Daniel is back at school and we are also praying for Daniel while he is away from you and Granton.

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful to hear that he is happy & having a great time playing. Praise God for all our answered prayers!!!!! We continue to pray for his test results & healing. Give him hugs for us. God Bless, The Bay & Holley families

Anonymous said...

I look so forward to coming home, getting my kids in bed, and checking in on Granton so I can hear of all his progress!! Still praying and thanking God for his miracles!
Amanda Rouse

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to hear so many good reports. Our God (on the mountains) is still God (in the valleys), but thank the Lord there are more and more Mountain top reports!)

Praying for you all,

Anonymous said...

Sounds great1 Looking forward to getting the next test results. I'm very thankful for all the answered prayers. Still praying!

Anonymous said...

Jenni, What good news that is interested in food. My boys weren't big on the baby food stuff for very long. They weren't picky, just wanted lots of it. glad to hear the cultures aren't growing anything new. How cute that he tugs your sleeve for attention. Those moments are so special. I continue to pray for good test results and healing. Daniels "other" kids will start tomorrow and I know they will be so glad he is back! Love and prayers, Kim P.