Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Lots of news
First of all, I am sorry for the long delay on an update. I have some real good excuses for taking so long, but I hate excuses so I will just leave it as an apology. However, I do have quite a bit of news. First, I will cover the G-tube. We spent most of the day on the phone with doctors on the same day I made the post. Jenni also took Granton into the local hospital, also called CMH which makes things confusing, and had a nurse who works with G-tubes all the time look at him. To make a long story short, Dr. Jenni removed the G-tube that night. We have been dressing the opening and it is healing wonderfully. We have also been given an NG tube. This is the tube that goes through the nose. Most of Granton’s old pictures on the blog have a tube going in his nose. That was a NG tube. We don’t need the tube unless he gets sick suddenly and we have to use it to keep him hydrated. Now I will share the new news we have from his last checkup which was yesterday. Granton’s check up was very long. He and Jenni left at about 9:30 yesterday morning and did not get home until after 8:00 last night. They did all kinds of things done to him. He had an IV and some shots on top of his normal stuff and Jenni received some more training which took a long time. However, they won’t have to do that as much because he only has to go to KC every two weeks now which is an improvement. His blood pressure was kind of high, but he was not able to eat lunch until 4:00 and he had been stuck quite a few times by the time they took it. Jenni thinks the blood pressure was high because Granton was not a happy camper. Although, he did make the doctors happy when he got on the scales. They toped out at 8.9, which is 19.58lbs. Granton is now in the normal percentile for his age! We are still working on this because he has a new nutritionist and she wants to see him get to 10. Another good report is that Granton has shown enough improvement that they are going to start weaning hit steroids. This process should take about five months we hope. Almost everything from the checkup was good. The doctors did show concern about Granton’s rash. It is back, and as I have stated before, it is a sign of graft vs. host disease. We have a new cream for it and if it is not gone by the 29th we have to report to the doctors and I think they will run a bunch of tests on the little man. Please pray this is not G.V.H. disease and that the rash goes away. We are still “looking up” for answers and guidance. Thank you so much for continually praying for us. You have been so faithful and your support means so much to us. The Kansas City Star is actually going to do a story on our blog community because of your continual interest and support for the little guy. So we are all going to be in the news. I have been recognized a few times by people who saw me on the news, but I am recognized more by strangers who read our blog. The cool thing is people who read this blog feel more like family than strangers to me. I think that is what the newspaper’s story will be about. We will just have to read and find out. Speaking of the paper, I was told Granton has made the front page more than anyone besides the mayor this year. I will try to post sooner next time and thank you for your continual prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

23 comments:
So glad to hear all the good reports on Granton! He is truely a MIRACLE!
I am excited to read the story in the KC Star. I was one of the people that the Star contacted. I love Granton like he was my own son and that is exactly what I told the reporter.
Prayer is a wonderful thing!!!!
Rachel
Yay!! Go Granton!! As I have said before, I share this with the girls I work with here at the bank of bolivar, and they are just as excited as me with the way everything has turned out! Such a little, or should I say "big" miracle we have witnessed and prayed for. God truly is Amazing! You guys are continuly in my and our prayers!
Thanks for the wonderful update. I check often but do not feel troubled when there's no info. because I assume "no news is good news." I'm glad Jenni had a safe and successful trip to KC yesterday and that the trips will be less frequent in the future. The blessings and miracles continue, as well as the prayers and love of so many people.
Merry Christmas,
Rebecca L.
I feel so relieved to finally get the scoop. I have been checking often to find out how he was doing. My tummy has hurt for him everytime I read the blog. I am so glad to hear of all the goods news. I know them trips to KC are gruelling. We used to go alot for treatment for my husbands brain tumor, he is doing very well, been about 4 years since we have been in KC. God is Amazing. Stay safe and warm. The roads here in C-ville are very slick!!!
Glad to hear that the G tube has finally been removed!!! Wonderful wonderful wonderful news!!! Will continue to send up prayers regarding the rash! Granton has really bounced back from where he was. Our God is an AWESOME GOD!!
Love and Prayers-
Nancy, Elizabeth and Caleb Katzer
way to go Granton... keep making your mommy and daddy proud.... you are an awesome little guy!!!
Hi There,So glad to hear the G-tube is out.Sounds like a long day yesterday.Just the long ride and wait seems enough to make anyones BP come up.We will pray that the rash is just that,a winter dry skin rash.I bet Granton is enjoying all the Christmas lights.Such an exciting time for all little ones.Much love to you all.GgLarry&GgBonnie
I have been reading the blog since you held the bone marrow drive. I work with Denny and Sandy Bailey and know they are relatives of yours. I just wanted you to know that I have been praying for your family continually and love checking for updates on a daily basis. I feel as if I know you without even meeting you. I will continue to pray and look forward to more good news. I have 4 children and my oldest was born with spina bifida. He is 13 now with none of the complications that go along with it. Prayer is a powerful thing and sometimes all we have. Take care and Merry Christmas!! Heather Griffith
What a wonderful report! It is so great that the newspapers want to focus on such a story and show the power of God and prayer. There is no doubt that Granton's life is a miracle.
I will continue to pray about the rash. It could be something he is allergic to. My almost 2 year old has a milk allergy which manifests itself as a rash. He doesn't get "sick" with it, just has a rash so it's easy to tell when somebody has let him eat something with milk in it--in 2 to 12 hours, back comes the rash. He drinks only soy milk and that seems to help. He didn't have any trouble with milk until he was almost a year old.
I'm glad you feel your faithful bloggers are more like family than strangers, because that is certainly the way we feel about Granton and his entire family. The family of God is the best family there is!
Wishing you a joyous Christmas. Be sure to take lots of pictures so we can see Granton's wonder and excitement. It'll be even better than a birthday party and we know he loves those!
Jenni, trust you are feeling great and progressing through your pregnancy without any hitches.
In Christ's love,
Tammy Guinn
Hey Guys! I am glad to hear the good news of weight gain and G tube. I will be praying that the rash is just a rash and it will go away w/ the new cream.
I was also contacted by the KC Star we talked for a while and I was asked several questions about why I was a faithful blogger etc. It kinda scared me at b/c she was going to email me after we talked for a photo of myself. I am a worry wart, So then I thought what if this really isn't about the story. Anyway, thanks for confirming.
I will keep praying for you guys. Love and prayers
I've been looking at the blog each day to see if you had reported. I have been praying for little guy and will continue to do so. The report certainly sounds good. Remember Mom to take care of yourself also. I'm praying the rash just goes away. We all will always feel a little part of Granton's life. God Bless, Joy Smith
So glad the Gtube is healing up! Yay for weight gain! Yay for getting the steroids weaned! Boo for the rash! Praying to goes away and isn't GVH!
I wasn't able to call the reporter but I talked with her by email a couple times and shared my connection to you and Granton (through Sheri Bryan if you don't remember)
Amanda Rouse
Wonderful news!!!! Good work Dr. Jenni. Granton just always has a way to use his body to decide when he wants something out.
He will be in our prayers for the GVHD. I can't wait to read his latest story. Of course he is the front page he is one of the best little boys I have ever met.
Stay warm and I am so glad your appt. was yesterday it was crazy weather here today.
Glad to hear from you. I was beginning to get a little nervous. Praise the Lord that the G-tube is gone and for the weight gain. I will pray fervently that the rash is just that - a rash and not GVH! Jenni, I hope you are feeling well and taking good care of yourself too. You are truly amazing. One of these days soon I'm going to come and see you and the precious little guy. Love and prayers, Kim
Glad to hear from you. I was beginning to get a little nervous. Praise the Lord that the G-tube is gone and for the weight gain. I will pray fervently that the rash is just that - a rash and not GVH! Jenni, I hope you are feeling well and taking good care of yourself too. You are truly amazing. One of these days soon I'm going to come and see you and the precious little guy. Love and prayers, Kim
Jeepers, Granton!! Look what you are doing now!! I clearly remember as a little kid on a small Oklahoma farm, we didn;t even have a radio yet but each week two things came to our mail box--our local Newspaper the Yukon Sun__ Yukon;s population was under 1000__and the big city paper, the Kansas City Star!! We had not yet emerged from the great depression so it must have cost a very few pennies. I have no idea why we took the KC Star instead of our own Oklahoma City news. My dad had a formal education thro the 4th grade but he faithfully read the Bible and the "Star" and he was an educated man. As for me as a litle kid , I turned first to Ripley's "Believe it or Not" So now, Granton, our super hero boy , you have propelled your family to famousdom! Thanks to Daniel superdad and Jenni super mom and most of al to our super God How we all thank Him as He contines His miracles in your life. Love ya, Gram
I'm so glad he is doing so much better. Praying for his full recovery and health.
Cathy F., Bolivar
So glad to hear that all went well that your long exhausting doctor's appointment. We are still praying!
"We have the same spirit of faith, according as it is written. I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe and therefore speak: For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant Grace might throught the thanksgiving of Many redound to the Glory of God." 2 Corinthians 4:13,15
I was just thinking about when Granton was so very sick, many nights I lye awake praying! While in deep prayer God will give me a vision of a happy baby boy just glowing from an incredible bright light that engulfed his entire body. I knew that this was the Glory of God surrounding him like I had never seen before. I knew within my spirit that he would be well again and his life would always be a testament of God's Glory! I held on to this, spoke this over him with you and now I am crying because that vision is true to life today! Granton always will have a special place in the heart of our family as well.
Love,
Dana Burk
Thank God from all blessings flow! I will continue to pray for Granton to get God's help in whatever way he needs.
As I have said before I don't know all of you personally, but you have helped me in so many ways. When you loose your twenty-six year old daughter you do depend on God for so many things, like getting up to face the day. I admire you for being so strong, God will take care of you in every way you need his help!
Have a Merry Christmas and a blessed 2009!
I can understand being slow on the post, there are so many things going on right now. Thank you, for your time. Glad to hear the good reports and praying this rash leaves soon. I just told Shanna, I want to go see yall but don't want to take anything to him with all this sickness going around. Try to think of yourself some, Jenni. Take care!
Hey Guys,
I've been catching up on all the blogs I've missed since the end of Nov.- computer problems - love technology.
Great news on the good report on Granton! His pictures are so cute and he has grown so much. He didn't look to excited about Santa, but this will be the best Christmas, celebrating the Miracle of the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ and the miracle of little Granton's continued healing. So many blessings to be thankful for!
I haven't been able to check, but always keep Granton and you all in my daily prayers. I will pray that the rash will go away quickly.
Jenni, I hope you are feeling good, take care of yourself.
God Bless You All.
Love & prayers - Sherry Stephens
Hey gald to see Granton looking so good.
So good to hear the wonderful news on Granton and wow look at this guy put the weight on Yippy. And Continued Prayers always for our little guy that this rash goes away and that he will soon be well enough not to have to make those trips to KC much more. I am also Praying for Mommy & Daddy as this is so tiring on you both. I wish you all a Very Merry Christmas & A Blessed 2009
Sherry M
Post a Comment