Wednesday, September 3, 2008

After a days diet of yobaby and enfalyte Granton did manage to keep the food in his stomach and gain a little weight. We are still going to try again to start the ng feeds since this method is more ideal for gaining weight faster. I pray that Granton will be able to tolerate the continuous feeds and not throw them up. The nurse will help us by going really slow on the volume working up to 35ml with a more dense higher calorie formula. I believe that he will hold them down if we go gradually and slowly as we did over the weekend and not fill him up too fast. If not, we may have to try the nj tube that goes to the intestine instead of the stomach. If that doesn't work we can try a g-tube. The g-tube is less infection risk because it is directly connected to the gut and not the blood stream. So, that is good to know. We will try to avoid giving him nutrients and calories through the iv since it can't be depended upon to work for very long or trusted to keep Granton from getting a bacteria infection. However, the nutritionist are very concerned that they will have to resort to this if Granton keeps losing weight. He is not near to the level he should be because of the big virus set-back. Also, we know that the antibiotic bactrum might be causing the nausea and this afternoon we found out that he only has to receive this med 5x per week instead of 7 which might help some. This is what we are learning and praying for--mainly no puking so that we can move on to gaining weight. Hope you are all doing well. We appreciate everything.

Jenni

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. We'll continue praying for that precious boy.

You know - Noah is 16 months and only weighs 18 lbs 5 oz, so when I hear where Granton is I'm amazed! He's doing great!
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Praying that Granton's little tummy feels much better soon. Hate to hear that he has been vomiting. That is no fun! We continue to pray for your family.

Anonymous said...

Prayers from Bedford that Granton's tummy will soon settle down and the weight goes on.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had access to internet for about 6 months so I wasn't able to be updated as often as I would have liked. But, you have all been in mine and my family's prayers. Stay strong
Michelle Price (Simpson)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kimberly. I think Granton is doing great on his weight. I know it is discouraging when he's not gaining and is instead losing. My Daughter did that for a couple of months. At her 12 month check up last week she weighed in at a whopping 16lb 11oz (gained 1 lb 10 oz in 3 months).

I still continue to pray for you and your family and hope that you get to make the trip to the McD house soon!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear Granton is having a hard time with the feeds. I think you are on the right track with going slowly on the feeds. Sure hope things will be better tomorrow. Still praying!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jenni, My heart is just overwhelmed with the loving support from your friends, some you know and apparently some you don't know. Those moms have such empathy for you, and have some of the same experiences. So eager to share things they have learned with their own little ones and it just could happen they might come up with a suggestion the doctors havn't thought of. Moms do that, you know.I have been so impressed , there are many people still who truly care about other poeple. And little Granton and his parents are in the hearts and prayers of so many precious moms who have had their own baby trials. We think of you and all the family all the time. I guess Mimi is there, another wise and experienced and loving mom there along with Sandy. You have been so strong, Jenni, and when you feel it is about too much, they are there for you. God is looking down on you, loving you and giving you strenth. He will continue to do that and that little guy is gonna be better pretty soon. Love you, Gram

Anonymous said...

Jenni,
Just wanted you to know that I am still praying for you, Daniel, and Granton daily. I cannot imagine the toll this is taking on you. You have done an amazing job of remaining positive and seeking the Lord first in everything. This word encouraged me today, so I hope it will encourage you too-Matthew 6:33 "Seek the kingdom of God above all else and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
I'm confident the Lord will give you and Granton what you need today.
Rachel Tennison

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the poor little guy. Tummy trouble is the pits! I know the setbacks can be so frustrating, and while I know you are anxious to get to McD house, at least when he did get sicker, he did it while still in the hospital, and surrounded by full staff and doctors, rather than after you left for the McD house.

I can't wait for the day that you can all go home for good. You are always in mine and my family's prayers.

Keep strong and keep the faith. It's an uphill climb, but it IS UPhill!!

Cathy F., Bolivar

Anonymous said...

Granton's little stomach has been through a lot. I pray that as they feed slowly it will have a chance to calm down.

The yogurt sounds like a good idea. You are a great mom.

L West

Anonymous said...

Keep the SPIRIT, I pray Granton can gain weight like he should. I wish I could help Granton in some way, I know prayer and faith in God goes very far. I've been blessed with a grandson born September 1, I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers!