Today has been a good day so far and Granton is happy and playful. Right now he is bouncing in his exersaucer and watching baby enstein. We already ate breakfast, took a nap, ate lunch, played in the crib while listening to music, and read two books. Now, we are waiting to go to radiology to have an nj tube placed in his intestine--slightly further than the ng that goes to his stomach. We passed this up two days ago to try to meet all his needs by mouth. As you know, Granton does things in his own time at his own pace. So, we are making the best decision to put in the nj tube based on the past two days. With the iv fluids and oral feeds combined, we managed to consistantly give him about 2/3 the amount of calories he needs in one day. Ideally, he needs approximately 800-1000 and we put in about 7oo each day. On average, only 400 calories were from food that he would eat orally. We were very close, but most of the calories he consumed did not come from the formula with the added vitamins and nutrients he needs. If he tolerates the nj tube then we can put in a g-tube--the second belly button--which we have ordered for next week. Granton is being maintained by iv fluids and whatever we give him orally until he receives the nj tube. By noon today he ate 85 calories and drank very few of them which is an issue. He will still receive the iv fluids through the weekend as we push his feeds very slow. His weight did not decrease today which is positive, but it did not show any increase either. He weighed 7.51 yesterday afternoon and 7.515 this morning. We've sure learned a lot this week about different foods and the calories they have. I am thankful for everyone helping us through this nutrition adventure.
Jenni
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
My thoughts are with you guys as you go through this today. I hope you all have a great weekend. Connie F.
It sounds like you have a good plan,I know you do whatever it takes to make Granton stronger. I pray for Granton and will continue to do so everyday! Jenni, take care of yourself you are truly a great mom!
Have they done another swallow test on Granton? If he is swallowing good, have you let him try using a straw? My youngest son thinks anything that comes from a straw is way better than what comes out of a tippy cup. Same goes for food. If he can feed himself, he eats anything, but if you try to feed him, he'd rather do without. Boys just have their own way of wanting things done!
How much weight does Granton need to gain in order to be within his desired range?
Still praying in SE Kansas.
Tammy Guinn
Hello from Colorado. My mom and I have been visiting with Emily, Kayla, Andrew and Avery this week. Brad and his dad have been on a guy trip. Emily and I have been checking on Granton each day. Prayers will go up for weight gain! We loved the video and oreo cookie face. :-) We have your whole family in our prayers.
Love in Christ, Linda "Buff"
Love the picture and video! Praying for good calorie intake and weight gain. You all are in my daily thoughts and prayers.
Amanda Rouse
Dear Daniel and Jenni--I'm guessing dad is there doing man things with his son. Been thinking--I know the experts kn ow what he needs in the way of calories. But I remember Daniel as a slim bodied baby and I know Debbie was and Michael a very slim little guy--and look at all of them now. They were all that way I think until somewhere in the teen years. So there could be some genetics involved. Oh yes, it was hard to keep their pants up as their behinds were so small.. so it's possible even if you get plenty calories into him he may not fill out in his body as much as you might expect. He looks so super great and I love the videos.I'm glad you have come to more peace again about not hurrying out of the hospital. It seems with a new surrender, things get better. We will keep praying and waiting as Jesus works things out for all of you. Yes, waiting so long can get pretty hard sometimes. We can't know quite how hard it is but we hold you in our hearts and prayers. Love ya, Gram
Jenni,
I know you probably get more advice than you want sometimes, but... I hate to see Granton have to go through another invasive procedure and to have another site at risk for infection ( I know they said it is not as high of a risk as his iv lines, but I have to think it is still high risk going through multiple layers of tissue). Now that he is over his virus is there any way they would let you try just oral feeds for a couple days and see how his weight does? What percentile is Granton in with his weight? Other than Paislee's birth weight she has always been in the < 25%. (She can wear Cashton's 3-6 mo clothes.) I know the focus right now is gain gain gain, but what if he was just getting what he needed for right now and slowly increase it as he gets better versus giving him more calories than his body can keep down.
If there is anything you need don't hesitate to let us know. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
Love,
Alysea
P.S. Is Granton still able to get any breast milk?
Granton, we'll have to start calling you Cookie Monster. And I loved your video, I could really see your little teeth...so cute! You just keep eating those Oreos so you can gain lots of weight.
Still praying for you everyday and your Mom & Dad too! Have a good night and a great weekend!
Love and prayers....Sherry Stephens
Sounds like you have a plan and I know this is all for the best. Anything to make Granton gain the weight that is needed for him to get stronger, has got to be good. Hope your family has a great weekend. Still praying!
Granton looks really good.
Normal is one of those elusive things. I am praying for everyone's discernment concerning his continued progress.
Blessings,
L West
Post a Comment